Sunday, November 28, 2010

apples and oranges

its easy to get disillusioned when youre traveling. as much as you appreciate the marvels and idiosyncrasies of the place youre visiting (or living), the gloriously special things that you discover can put a damper on those things that dont quite live up in the rest of the world. sound a little bananas? its the bananas that made me think of this yesterday at the Wellington fruit and veg market. this sunday tradition is one of my favorite things about wellington - just a few blocks from my apartment is a good sized farmers market with delish, cheap fruit and veg of better quality and much cheaper price than the supermarket (conveniently located next door for comparison shopping if you re not convinced). its also a really nice weekly activity to drag myself out of bed early on Sunday morning, grab my reusable shopping bag and join the other hundred or so wellingtons who at least for one morning a week are doing something good for the environment, local communities and their own bodies. and after the market is the cooking fest that ensures that the rest of the week I'll be eating yummy, healthy meals.
Yesterday I was excited to see some inexpensive bananas that were that perfect shade of yellow with just a touch of green. Eating one going home, I couldn't help but to think of the absolutely magical Indonesian bananas. this special fruit has a really thin skin and shorter body than you find other places, and inside is the most amazingly delicious fruit I have ever had in my life. Wellington bananas just cant measure up. Bananas I would have been very, very happy with 6 months ago are now relegated for use in banana pancakes. I guess the only thing to do is put the bananas aside and find NZ's own special thing and enjoy that as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment