Saturday, October 3, 2009

Melbourne continues...

first full shift at work last night! it was for sure the best first day of work ive ever had... its amazing how much a restaurant culture can change once people arnt working for tips anymore. people at hoo haa work just as hard, but as a team instead of individuals. at first i thought that it was just because i was new that everyone was helping me bring my food to tables and being looked out for - but then i realized everyone was doing that to everyone! very nice atmosphere to work and the management actually encourages everyone to hang out and goof off - at one point i got a piggy back ride around the restaurant by my supervisor in order to show me the cash registers. and the customers absolutely love it too! waitressing is tougher here than im used to (more intense clean up work after close) and pays less well (tips are very minimal) but its still a great job. i think i fit in well too - the GM took me aside after the dinner rush died down and told me that two of my three tables that night had gone up to him to tell him i was a great waitress (could be sympathy out of my first day but still glad to have the team thinking im doing well!) it will definitely take some getting used to getting home at 6am (work finished at 4am but then everyone hangs out for awhile waiting for the morning trains to start running again) but its a great first aussie job!

also today i checked out the melbourne aquarium and tonight im going to the final night of the Salvador Dali exhibit here

aussie word for the day
tip: as in, dont eat yellow snow - not 15-20% :)

2 comments:

  1. So, when did you make the decision to leave Sydney? I remember you posting a while back that you had met someone in your hostel who might be a potential roommate and saw an ad for a cheap two-bedroom so I was under the impression you'd be staying in Sydney longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I might be, but had very mixed reactions to Sydney... I loved a lot of things about it but hated the general attitudes toward life - its very Manhattan, consumerist and everyone in suits trying to make more money than the other guy. Beach would be been a great reprieve from that but the house didnt work out so I took that as a sign to get outta dodge and get to the more laid back Melbourne - very glad I did!

    ReplyDelete