Tuesday, October 13, 2009

next step

its official - next wednesday i am flying out to byron bay!! place ticket it bought, hostel booked, and notice given at my job. byron bay is the essence of what i came to australia for - small little surfing beach town, beautiful weather, semi-hippie vibe about the town... what convinced me to go (besides the absolutely gloooowing lonely planet description - see below) is the fact that everyone ive talked to the past week hasnt been able to stop talking/raving about it.

"OK, you’ve made it to the promised land. God’s own earth, Byron is the region’s most celebrated haunt, a gorgeous town where the high green moguls of the northern rivers hinterland meet the coast in spectacular fashion. The aesthetics spin the mind, but it’s the town’s escapism that has become the honey to roving bees. Deflated swarms of them bumble in to get drunk on the trademark New Age, laid-back, organic-fusion lifestyle. They stay for a weekend, a week or for good (often in that order) to tune in, tune out, tone up and tan up."
-Lonely Planet

3 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! How has it been living in a non-hostel for a while? We're flying out this weekend for two weeks in Israel (:-D !!!) but I look forward to reading about how you're doing in Byron Bay when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deirdre has the same question as before--I didn't realize you'd be moving around so quickly! I think the answer to your question in your recent post is no--Miss Michelle will stay as independent as ever, haha! :) How did they take it when you put in your notice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think it depends... I just recently got to Austrlia and Im crazy thirsty to just travel and hop around - see a lot of Australia and be in the more "australia-y" parts as opposed to the cosmopolitan cities (ie Sydney and Melbourne). So once I find a place I hate the thought of leaving (which I may have today - welcome to Byron Bay!), I will stay until the travel bug bites again. But there is also so much to see up the east coast and through the great barrier reef before the rainy season starts in Janurary! And I've been getting really excited about New Zealand and SE Asia as well.... just loving the moving too much to stay still for the moment! Though, i think I may stay an extra year (you can get an extra year put on your working holiday visa if you do 3 months of farm work) which would mean I would get to travel my heart out and then get to settle somewhere awhile as well.

    Lovely hearing from you :D!

    ReplyDelete