Tuesday, December 1, 2009

rough start in brisbane

it was a less than awesome start to my stay here in brisbane this afternoon - on the bus ride here from noosa i got really bad stomach pains and thought it might be appendicitis, so went straight from the bus to a nearby clinic, who also thought it was probably appendicitis so sent me to the hospital for diagnosis and treatment. turns out that it isnt appendicitis (they're 99% sure - they couldnt actually SEE my appendix on the ultrasound machine so options are im either a mutant born without one, it suddenly evaporated out of my system, its not where its supposed to be, or -most likely- it was hiding from the doctors, which apparently happens sometimes). however they couldnt tell what the problem was, only were able to rule out the major issues that would need further hospitalization.
good news is that im now out of the hospital and not in any pain!
bad news is that even though australian medical care isnt nearly as expensive as american ERs, im still going to have to now deal with the bill and trying to get my travel insurance company to reimburse me :(

hoping tomorrow (and 2 interviews i have lined up) will be a better kick off to my brisbane life!

aussie word of the day
ambo: ambulance

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear that you had some medical, glad you went and had it checked out. a burst appendix is no fun.
    hope brisbane is all you hope for.
    love ya,
    peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes - rough start! Hope its gone for good and that the somehow the insurance dealings go smoothly. No fun. I just found out today that I have some of my own to deal with...blaaaargh. Anyways, glad you are feeling better and hope the interviews go (or went?) well. Happy (belated) turkey day - enjoyed your email!

    ReplyDelete